Words: Keith Atkinson
Windsurf pic: Andy Stallman
Being no stranger to Windsurfing UK personal fitness trainer and accomplished windsurfer Keith Atkinson kicks off the first of a new series of windsurfing nutrition articles. Read on to find out more. (Check out Keith’s windsurfing fitness videos elsewhere on the WSUK site).
The first of the Keith Atkinson Nutrition based articles gives an insight into the benefits of starting the day and having a good Breakfast. ’Breakfast’ literally means to ‘break the fast’ that occurs overnight. After approximately 12 hours without fuel, it’s easy to see why breakfast is considered the most important meal of the day. As the first source of energy that your body receives, your breakfast should provide the essential nutrients and fluids needed to kickstart the day. Skipping this most important of meals means your body doesn’t have what it needs to perform basic functions, causing blood sugar levels to drop and you to feel hungry sooner, which means you’re more likely to reach for unhealthy foods later on.
But it’s not just about whether you eat breakfast or not. What you eat, and how much, is equally as important. A simple carbohydrate-based breakfast such as toast or pastries does not provide the amount of protein you need in each meal, and may actually make you feel more hungry throughout the day. This is a common culprit for unhealthy food choices. The statistics and research findings below help to put this into perspective:
- A protein-rich breakfast has been shown to reduce cravings during the day and help in controlling your appetite.
- Research shows that skipping breakfast is closely linked with weight gain and overeating later in the day.
- Eating breakfast was found by scientific researchers to help reduce total daily calorie intake.
- Results from a clinical study suggested that not eating breakfast is associated with a higher Body Mass Index (BMI)4 and poorer eating behaviours.
- 61% Europeans miss breakfast more than once a week, according to a recent survey. Of those people, 47% blame a lack of time as their excuse.
If you’re always on the go and looking for a healthy breakfast, take a look at the Herbalife Formula 1 – it provides both macro and micro-nutrients to help you reach your Nutrient Reference Values (NRV) and ensures you start the day well hydrated. Plus, it’s quick and convenient to prepare – so no excuses! Check out the link here: https://keithatkinson.goherbalife.com/Catalog/Categories/ProductsList/en-GB/486
FREE MEAL PLAN
As part of Keith’s commitment to inspiring healthy living, and helping people become fitter and lead healthier lives, Keith is offering FREE meal plans which will help you no matter what your goals are. Whether it’s losing weight, maintaining or gaining weight, there is a plan that will be suitable for your goals, including information on the recommended supplements to use for pre, during and post windsurfing and gym sessions! Get your free meal plan by emailing: email@example.com